Sands of Destiny
So some simple rules for character creation.
- No Divine Power Source (No Clerics, Paladins, Avengers, Invokers, or Runepriests).
- Everyone gets a theme.
- All PCs will be starting as Slaves, Dark Sun’s version of meeting in the tavern, so please select a theme that suits this for now, it can be changed later at no cost, or have a good story for how your character ended up as a slave.
- All PCs will start with a Wild Talent (latent psionic ability)
- When creating your PCs please include two things on the page for me: An Instinct, something your character falls back on even without thinking, and their Motivation, not something short term like “escape slavery”, think bigger, what is being enslaved keeping you from?
Other things worth knowing
- Athas, the world of Dark Sun, is a harsh world without metal and without the widespread use of magic seen in other settings, because of this magic weapons are rare, but powerful, so to compensate all PCs receive a +1 competency bonus to attack and damage rolls at 2nd, 7th, 12, 17, 22, and 27th level, and a +1 competency bonus to AC, Fort, Ref and Will at 4th, 9th, 14th, 19th, 24th, and 29th level.
- Weapons and armor are made of hides, bones, shells, scales, and carapaces. Even money is ceramic, metal is rare but not unknown, many powerful ancient artifacts are metal and many desert and wasteland tribes will only accept real gold and silver coins in exchange from outsiders.
- Food and water can get scarce quick and can be a hell of a commodity in the desert.